Sunday, January 6, 2008

Road Signs - Why Curve Improvement?

I had the mixed fortune in April 2008 to lose my job. So I decided to take the opportunity to do some traveling. You lost your job, now what are you going to do!? I'm goin' to Disneyland!

What better way to clear my head: Senselessly burning up gas and putting miles on my car - there is no better way to get to know a little bit of the world than to blast through is at 75 miles per hour, stopping or turning wherever the whim strikes.

I was, I confess, hoping to find a sign, an epiphany somewhere along the way. This, it would say, in bold letters, is what you should do with Your Life. Though I did see turn-offs for Opporunity, Hope and Wisdom I didn't find a road sign from God in any of the 9 states I visited.

One of my favorite signs, though, was a bright orange caption to the string of cones and K blocks along 101 announcing CURVE IMPROVEMENT. Like Caltrans felt the need to justify the inevitable delay to every driving cursing along the way. 

It wasn't a sign from God, at least not the kind I was hoping for. But for a bit of wisdom and hope, this sign would keep me moving.

No comments:

Post a Comment